Monday, July 25, 2016

Dorm Room Decorations

     I am so excited about this blog post. Being able to decorate your dorm is so exciting and fun. Today I'll take you through how I decorated my first dorm room, how to create decorations, and where to get great items to personalize your room! Before getting decorations, keep in mind that you"ll most likely have to use command hooks so you don't damage the walls. 

     Now for the fun part! When decorating my room, I first thought of a color scheme that I wanted to pick. The dorm rooms are usually all white with no color. Picking your comforter first and then going off of the colors really help make the room look like a finished product. I chose a pink and white trellis pattern because one, I love the color pink, and I wanted to brighten my room. 


     I had a good amount of wall space and a bulletin board to hang paintings and decorations which I took full advantage of. I've had a Vera Bradley fabric covered bulletin board in pink, green, and white for a long time and I printed out pictures of my friends and family to attach. Having photo displays of your friends and family make it homier, especially during the first few weeks when you're home sick. It also allows your new friends to get to know your past life and friends from home! 



     I also found this adorable post on Pinterest that was a cut out of an elephant in a Lilly Pulitzer print hanging on a string. I fell in love immediately, mostly because of the creative way to showcase my favorite Lilly prints! 




     

Next I created a few pieces of artwork. I love painting because it's very calming and a hobby that I've been invested in since I've been little. I wanted a large statement painting, so I got a large  18 x 24 canvas. I then proceeded to lay out a good amount of white paint, as well as pink, green, and blue. There really isn't a technique for this painting, it's more of a let the paint brush do it's magic! I would overlay the colors with white paint to get different shades and pressed the paint brush flat on the canvas into a flower shape, almost representing hydrangeas my favorite flowers. If you repeat this process, your canvas will soon be complete and it will appear to be more difficult than it was to make. Many of my friends fell in love with it and wondered how I did it, yet it was so simple!




     Some other paintings I did were a copy of the Lilly Pulitzer print, "You Gotta Regatta," and my monogram on a small canvas. I was lucky enough to join a sorority and my big also created amazing pieces of art for me that shared our love for Delta Gamma! 


     There are so many ways to decorate your room and some great stores that will help you to do so. Michaels, Marshalls, T.J.Maxx, Staples, and Bed Bath and Beyond, are some of the few that have great staple pieces! Happy decorating!

Tell me some of your creations for your dorm room!

The Pink Prep

No comments:

Post a Comment